Kadasig Aid and Development has requested a qualified nurse to work with Filipino staff at health centres in Cebu to improve community health education programs and deliver first aid training. These programs will promote the prevention of illness, reduce the spread of disease through basic health and sanitation awareness and sexual health knowledge, and enable individuals to deliver first aid.
Note: The monthly living allowance enables you to live a modest local lifestyle. Based on the cost of living in a particular country, it covers food, your daily commute, communication and other local costs. It is not set to enable you to meet financial commitments at home, such as a mortgage or a personal loan. It will not cover the costs of eating out and other entertainment. Read more about what is covered in our FAQ. All applicants will be required to complete a Working with Children and Police Check.
The Kadasig Centre is located in Cebu City, and Patupat, Cebu Province, in the Philippines.
Cebu City is the capital of the Cebu province, consisting of one main island and over 150 smaller islands. The city is home to several historic buildings dating the Spanish colonial period including the Basilica Minore del Santo Niño de Cebu and Fort San Pedro. As a coastal town surrounding by islands, participants can enjoy diving, snorkelling and sailing. The city features hotels, banks, postal services, and several hospitals and clinics.
Patupat is located approximately 2 hours south-west of Cebu City. As a regional town, it features fewer amenities than Cebu City though it does have banks, markets and a basic hospital.
As the centre has two facilities and a significant part of this role involves community education, this placement will require travel between the two locations on a regular basis.
The Kadasig Centre works with communities that have low levels of literacy and limited health education. Improving basic health knowledge – including sexual health, first aid, and disease prevention – has been identified as critical to the future wellbeing of these communities. Building a sustainable, community-based health education program will assist Kadasig in strengthening community resilience in the future.
Implementing the program will require awareness of local customs, particularly Catholic values, and awareness of local literacy levels. Using simple communication free from jargon is essential. Sensitivity over sexual health education will be important and the successful candidate will need to identify appropriate individuals to lead these sessions.
Kadasig Aid and Development has requested a suitably qualified and experienced nurse. The successful candidate must demonstrate:
- Minimum of 2 years’ Nursing experience
- Experience working with children and families
- Some knowledge or experience in developing countries and cultural considerations in the Philippines in desired.
- Ability and willingness to travel between Cebu City and Barili (and complete other local travel as required).
- Willingness to work in Cebu for a minimum of 12 months.
- Willingness to engage their Australian community in promoting the work of the host organisation and their role.
How You Will Help
You will work with the staff of Kadasig Aid and Development to provide professional skill development that will:
- Improve access to basic medical care for vulnerable children, young people and their families by localising a nurse within the local communities
- Undertake health promotion and prevention education to children, young people and their families to reduce the prevalence of preventable illnesses.
- Provide training and basic resources to Kadasig staff and community leaders to enable them to continue basic health promotion and prevention education.
- Support the continued development of local and international partnerships in order to raise the profile of the needs of vulnerable children in the Philippines and ensure a coordinated and sustainable response.
- Explore fundraising opportunities or partnerships in Australia to support basic medical treatments and supplies for use in the Kadasig communities beyond this placement.
It is expected that at the conclusion of your assignment, the ongoing training of staff and community leaders will be able to be conducted by a staff member you have supported.