Sao Francisco de Assis Parish in Atabae, Timor Leste, has requested an English teacher mentor to assist local teachers to improve their English teaching skills and to develop English teaching programs.
Note: The monthly living allowance enables you to live a modest local lifestyle. Based on the cost of living in a particular country, it covers food, your daily commute, communication and other local costs. It is not set to enable you to meet financial commitments at home, such as a mortgage or a personal loan. It will not cover the costs of eating out and other entertainment. Read more about what is covered in our FAQ.
Sao Francisco de Assis Parish is located in Atabae, a regional town in Bobonaro district in Timor Leste.
Atabae is a small town approximately 3 hours from the country’s capital, Dili, and just a short drive to the north coast. The Parish will be undertaking administration of 9 schools, including primary and secondary schools totalling 300 students.
Note: For most assignments, accommodation is provided by the partner organisation. This accommodation has been assessed and approved by Palms Australia as being secure and has adequate utilities.
Atabae is a comparatively remote town in Timor Leste. Rural areas are often the least supported by aid or development assistance. Their isolation often makes it difficult to access opportunities that come more easily to those living in urban areas, with little infrastructure in the towns that are inland from the coast.
Education providers in regional areas of Timor Leste have identified foreign language skills as critical to the success of their graduates. Integrating quality language classes into the school curriculum gives students broad career possibilities in government, civil society organisations, international organisations and private sector management. Students are also able to apply for higher education opportunities overseas.
Students in these regional areas have fewer opportunities than their peers in the capital to engage with native English speakers. Attracting English speakers to these areas for a length of time that facilitates genuine language development is a challenge.
The Parish has requested a suitably qualified and experienced English teacher mentor. The successful candidate must demonstrate:
- Suitable qualifications and experience in education, experience mentoring teachers is desirable
- A willingness to learn Tetum (local language)
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Cultural sensitivity and openness to working within a different cultural context
- Willingness to work in [community abroad] for a minimum of 24 months, with limited resources and facilities
- Willingness to engage their Australian community in promoting the work of the host organisation and their role.
Prior knowledge of Tetum or Timor Leste is not required for this role.
How You Will Help
You will work with local staff of the Parish in Atabae to provide professional skill development that will::
- assist local teachers to improve their English teaching skills,
- provide English classes to model best practice,
- support the existing community English program as needed, and
- identify the need for a Parish English program
It is expected that at the conclusion of your assignment, this role will be able to be conducted by a local you have supported.
This role complements the placement of a Community Development Mentor who will also be placed with the Parish of Atabae.